|FEATURED||NEW||STYLE CLUB||SPOTLIGHT||POST A STYLE|
Along with longer days in the sun, iced coffees, and fresh flowers, our favorite part of Spring is a closet refresh. Shelving our Winter wares means there's more closet space for this season's essentials — and with our 2014 Spring trends on the top of mind, we're reevaluating our basics with a fresh set of eyes. The secret to being the It-girl this season is surprisingly simple: just combine a carefree attitude with an edgy-meets-sophisticated take on current trends. We’ve narrowed the search down to the key pieces you’ll want to invest in for an easy breezy style update this season:
- Tunic Dress (Rs. 7990: Every girl needs a pretty white dress in her Summer artillery. We love this Mango Dress for its versatility factor. Dress them up with heels or dress them down with flats, and the overlay detailing is a special touch.
- Pleated skirt (Rs. 2595): A punchy print puts a spring in our step. We plan on wearing this feminine style with a classic button-up blouse and skinny ankle boots. Alternatively, layer an embellished, collared blouse underneath a black sweatshirt for a cheeky, schoolgirl touch, and slip on a pair of metallic kicks for a casual outfit with heaps of cool-chick appeal.
- Statement Tee (Rs. 1890): Our love affair with the fancy t-shirt is showing no signs of cooling. This tee will be both the casual counter to our pencil skirt at the office and the dressed-up option to top my boyfriend jeans on weekends.
- Striped Tee (Rs. 1000 approx): You can take a striped classic tee anywhere. Its chic enough to work into many a workday outfit - just tuck it into pencil skirt and wear it under blazer with confidence. Or mix it up with slouchy floral pants and flat sandals for a chic downtown look.
- Boyfriend Jeans (Rs. 3500 approx) With just the right amount of slouch, you can dress these jeans up or down! Go all the way by topping it with an equally sun-stained chambray top for a day of browsing the shops and early afternoon cocktails. For evening skip the shirt in favor of a simple white tee, fierce metallic heels and a statement necklace.
- Denim Shirt (Rs. 1600): There is nothing as versatile and layer-friendly as this classic button-down - it’s a true outfit chameleon. Team with a pencil skirt for your 9-5 routine, wear it casually with printed denim over the weekend or go for an unexpected pairing with a metallic skirt and heels for the evening.
- Bucket bag (Rs. 4590): Looking for a new bag to carry all your worldly possessions? Fashion forward and entirely effortless, we can think of nothing easier or quite so cool as toting this carefree shape all season.
- Slip-on Sneakers (Rs. 4800 approx): For fashion-lovers who are all about standing out, this shoe is for you. Leopard print on sneakers is the pinnacle of glam and comfort. Wear them everywhere except for maybe athletic activities.
“When in doubt, wear red,’’ wise words from Mr. Bill Blass and this advice has been obediently followed by legendary fashionistas like Marilyn Monroe and Audrey Hepburn to the rockstars of today from Gwen Stefani to Taylor Swift when it comes to their choice of lip color. The iconic red lip is a fashion staple, a classic and something that can glam up an outfit as casual as a tee and denims to an outfit as sophisticated as a couture gown. This is one lip color which should necessarily make its way into your makeup kit to up the style quotient of your looks.
Contrary to popular belief that red lipsticks are meant only for the fair-skinned, this is a colour which looks beautiful on wheatish, olive as well as dusky complexions. The key is to find the right color for your skin tone though we also feel that every shade of red works on every skin tone with the right application and if you carry it off with confidence. Here is StylePile to the rescue to give you a lowdown on the perfect colors for every skin tone, all under 1000 bucks! Can’t get any better than this:
- Lakme Enrich Satins Lipstick 359 (Rs. 225): We will start off with this brilliantly bright shade of red, best suited for fair to wheatish skin tones. This stunning color can stand out against a beautiful monochrome palette or with similarly bright contrasting colors. We would love to see this worn with a vintage winged liner for a chic coquettish look.
- Chambor Rouge Plum Lipstick (Rs. 745; ShoppersStop.com): Our second pick has a tinge of pink to the lovely red shade. This bold color is great for fair to wheatish complexions and would add the much needed drama to a stylish Little Black or Little White Dress. Neutral eyes with shimmer and loads of mascara would allow your lips to literally do all the talking.
- NYX Black Label Lipstick (Rs. 435; Cosmetix.com): The Black Label Lipstick from NYX is every red lipper lover’s dream as it is that perfect shade of red that you have always been looking for. We love the fact that it comes with a lip pot so you can correct the imperfections with a liner easily. Wear this shade with some blush and dewy-eyed natural makeup.
- L’oreal Paris Infallible Le Rouge Lipstick (Rs. 720; Nykaa.com): This lip color from L’oreal is a winner as it goes really well with all skin colors. It has a beautiful balance of cool and warm undertones and hence is well suited for every woman. This lip color complements the rebellious leather look as well as the demure nude color palette.
- Rimmel London Lasting Finish Lipstick (Rs. 306 approx; Asos.com): Rimmel London on sale is like music to our ears especially when it is sold at Asos which has free shipping worldwide! This long stay lip color is perfect for wheatish to dusky skin tones. We would love to wear it on an elegant dinner date to feel ever so lady like. Create a red carpet moment of your own with a maxi dress, high heels and a dainty clutch. Wear the lip color with smokey kohl rimmed eyes for a sultry look.
- Accessorize Infatuated Intense Color Lipstick (Rs. 649; Jabong.com): We had no idea that one of our favourite accessory labels was also making such pretty and affordable makeup. We love that this red is more of a rich burgundy, which will complement a dusky complexion well. We would love to wear this one all the time as it is a versatile color and can take you effortlessly from day to night.
We hope you enjoyed our selection of lipsticks on a budget and also that this post inspired you to give the red pout a shot, you might just get addicted to this ever fashionable makeup trend. Remember to play up only one feature at a time for day wear and if you are highlighting the eyes at night keep the rest of the look relatively clean. Other than that, flawlessly bask in the confidence and the swagger that one easy swipe of the lip color can instill in you. As Miss. Monroe rightly said, “Red lipstick is to women what sports cars are to men.”
When it comes to accessories, belts often hide in the shadows of more flamboyant items like heels, jewelry, and clutches. But it’s no secret that this often overlooked item adds a slim, put-together vibe to any ensemble. The waist-cinching accessory works magic with denim, dresses, tunics alike.
From super-slim versions to the more bold and broader version, we’ve got 6 awesome options to help you pull it all together. And we are not talking about just any functional belt to hold up our pants, we are talking about ones that are pretty and will add some real pizzazz to our outfits:
- Mango Metal Beads Belt (Rs. 3490): Metallic beads give a classic black belt a chic contemporary twist. Use it to elevate a basic work outfit or wear it after hours to glam up an all black look.
- Forever 21 Waist Belt (Rs. 600 approx): An eye-catching piece like this means you don't have to think too hard about the rest of your accessory game. Use this to add a harder edge and amplify the hourglass shape to a feminine printed dress.
- Forever New Sparkle Flower Belt (Rs. 995): A little bling courtesy of this embellished belt will help dress up a plain outfit. We would use it to add sweetness and definition to a loose LBD.
- Pieces Belt (Rs. 495; Myntra.com): Gold leaf highlight on a soft pastel hue means stunner will complement pretty much everything in your closet.
- Miss Bennet Belt (Rs. 315; Jabong.com): This bold red belt with a hint of leopard is best for kicking a solid cocktail dress up a notch or reining in a chunky winter sweater.
- Femme Fatale Belt (Rs. 485; Koovs.com): A thin belt like this one would add a punch of color while cutting a slimmer figure to a relaxed fit dress. Use it to punctuate a solid colored work sheath or tie it over a trench for a bold pop of color.
With the biggest date night of the year on the horizon, the stress of figuring out what to wear begins to take its toll. Whether you're celebrating the big day with a romantic rendezvous with your man, keeping it intimate and low-key at home, or celebrating your singledom with your gal pals, we've got stunning dresses that will make it a night to remember. Although we dig these pieces so much,we would wear them any day of the year:
- Mango Dress (Rs. 3390): This look-at-me number with a draped detail on the chest truly displays the prowess of a little red dress. The dress itself has such a magnetic allure that it needs little else. A nude lip and black pumps would work great for the full standout effect.
- Zara Dress (Rs. 3990): This bold blue dress may not your typical color palette for V-day but its still sexy enough to drop jaws and turn heads in a room full of strangers. Style it with statement earrings and comfy heels to dance the night away with your crew.
- French Connection Dress (Rs. 2680): Not a one for minuscule, itsy-bitsy dresses? Opt for this lovely long sleeved version with a sophisticated spin on sexy. The dress has tons of ladylike appeal and the well placed cut-out details provide a subtle sexy vibe that is just right to make it a date night winner.
- Forever 21 Dress (Rs. 1200 approx): Pull out all the stops for this special occasion with a body con LBD that is guaranteed to wow your partner. Complete the look with a red lip, a hard black clutch and simple black heels.
- Lace Dress (Rs. 2500): This all over lace dress in an on-trend soft pink hue is a certifiable showstopper. Slip into this stunner with simple yet eye-catching accessories like a to make a lasting impression.
- Forever New Dress (Rs. 6600): This short & sweet number is flirty and ultra flattering. A pair of cage heels and a hint of cherry hue on the lips will make sure that all eyes are on you.
A perpetual fall favorite, a plaid button-down is one of the most democratic pieces in the fashion sphere, working on every type of girl, in every type of closet. Depending on how you put the pieces together, plaid can work as easily for a 9-5 routine as it can for a laid-back weekend outing. This week we show you a tartan shirt styled from minimal to preppy to uptown chic:
Fight the midweek slump with an outfit that's as easy as it is eye-catching. Just add a plaid button-down to your slouchy jeans and a pair of metallic heels to capitalize on the cool-girl vibe. Finish off with a few polished yet casual accessories namely a white bag and a gold necklace for a look that take the smart casual route with your plaid.
- Reiss Saffi (Rs. 1200 approx)
- Mango Jeans (Rs. 4590)
- Necklace (Rs. 899; Stalkbuylove.com)
- Forever 21 Pumps (Rs. 1500 approx)
- Guess Bag (Rs. 7140)
A plaid shirt goes the extra mile when paired with a bold leather pencil skirt. More pretty than punk, the addition of a pencil skirt and pointy pumps make the outfit look both elegant and provocative. And you thought plaid couldn’t play for after hours.
- Reiss Saffi (Rs. 1200 approx)
- Zara Skirt (Rs. 2990)
- Aldo Heels (Rs. 5000 approx)
- Steve Madden Bag (Rs. 2799)
To really step up your game this season, try mixing two plaid patterns. Sporting mismatched plaids may not be an obvious choice, but trust us when we say that it's a total wardrobe game changer. The trick to nailing the plaid-on-plaid look is in focusing on coordinating color schemes so that neither print overpowers the other. Here, we opted for a red and gray palette, accenting the ensemble with a deep, oxblood tone via ankle booties for added depth.
- Reiss Saffi (Rs. 1200 approx)
- Vanca Skirt (Rs. 899; Jabong.com)
- Booties (Rs. 3119)
- French Connection Satchel (Rs. 3000)
- Leggings (Rs. 449; Jabong.com)
Make your plaid the focal point of your whole ensemble by wearing it with skinny black denim, black boots and a fur (real or faux) vest in black. It makes for a great off-duty ensemble with some attitude.