Va-Va Velvet! Formally reserved for magicians and nineties grunge, we think it’s time to get reacquainted with velvet. Fall’s most sumptuous fabric is making a post-90’s retro revival with tons of inspiring velvet outfits on the Fall/Winter 2013 runway from embellished dresses and pantsuits to bejeweled heels.
The au courant take on the fabric is baroque with a little bit of rock and roll mixed. Sure, its not the easiest fabric to carry, but the secret to making the material feel current is to choose pieces with modern cuts and tailored details. Dodge the costumey pitfalls of the opulent fabric by staying away from crushed velvet, opting for deep jewel tones and to incorporate the fabric in unexpected ways with the help of chic accents. We have rounded up few of our favorite iterations of the refined fabric:
- Zara Dress (Rs. 4990): This dress screams night out on the town as it's still sweet, but a little more sophisticated. The straight cut gives it an instant modern vibe and the lace sleeves enhance the glamour quotient. All you need are some heels and a clutch and you're set for any party.
- Mango Pants (Rs.3990): A great alternative to your regular black pants, these velvet ones when paired with a structured top keeps the head-to-toe effect sharp.
- Peplum Top (Rs. 1450; Faballey.com): Night time is when velvet really shines, so don’t be afraid to dress it up. The subtle sheen of burnout velvet mixed with a sheer panel makes it one standout piece. Wear it with structured pants and ankle strap heels or team it with a fitted skirt. Finish with a bold red lip if you're feeling fancy.
- Burgundy Blazer (Rs. 2490; Jabong.com): Harness the luxuriance of velvet into an unexpected everyday staple like this burgundy blazer. Its sleek and streamline silhouette helps to balance texture and dimension of the fabric - a perfect topper for both pants and dresses.
- Forever New Shoes (Rs. 1915): Add a touch of elegance to your ensemble with the help of these plush velvet slippers. Pair them with your everyday jeans to vamp up a casual look or add them to a formal pant suit for a relaxed vibe.
- Forever 21 Skirt (Rs. 1000 approx): Fun and flirty the skirt makes enough of a statement, you can just add a neutral blouse or simple T-shirt to create an easy-chic look.