“When in doubt, wear red,’’ wise words from Mr. Bill Blass and this advice has been obediently followed by legendary fashionistas like Marilyn Monroe and Audrey Hepburn to the rockstars of today from Gwen Stefani to Taylor Swift when it comes to their choice of lip color. The iconic red lip is a fashion staple, a classic and something that can glam up an outfit as casual as a tee and denims to an outfit as sophisticated as a couture gown. This is one lip color which should necessarily make its way into your makeup kit to up the style quotient of your looks.
Contrary to popular belief that red lipsticks are meant only for the fair-skinned, this is a colour which looks beautiful on wheatish, olive as well as dusky complexions. The key is to find the right color for your skin tone though we also feel that every shade of red works on every skin tone with the right application and if you carry it off with confidence. Here is StylePile to the rescue to give you a lowdown on the perfect colors for every skin tone, all under 1000 bucks! Can’t get any better than this:
- Lakme Enrich Satins Lipstick 359 (Rs. 225): We will start off with this brilliantly bright shade of red, best suited for fair to wheatish skin tones. This stunning color can stand out against a beautiful monochrome palette or with similarly bright contrasting colors. We would love to see this worn with a vintage winged liner for a chic coquettish look.
- Chambor Rouge Plum Lipstick (Rs. 745; ShoppersStop.com): Our second pick has a tinge of pink to the lovely red shade. This bold color is great for fair to wheatish complexions and would add the much needed drama to a stylish Little Black or Little White Dress. Neutral eyes with shimmer and loads of mascara would allow your lips to literally do all the talking.
- NYX Black Label Lipstick (Rs. 435; Cosmetix.com): The Black Label Lipstick from NYX is every red lipper lover’s dream as it is that perfect shade of red that you have always been looking for. We love the fact that it comes with a lip pot so you can correct the imperfections with a liner easily. Wear this shade with some blush and dewy-eyed natural makeup.
- L’oreal Paris Infallible Le Rouge Lipstick (Rs. 720; Nykaa.com): This lip color from L’oreal is a winner as it goes really well with all skin colors. It has a beautiful balance of cool and warm undertones and hence is well suited for every woman. This lip color complements the rebellious leather look as well as the demure nude color palette.
- Rimmel London Lasting Finish Lipstick (Rs. 306 approx; Asos.com): Rimmel London on sale is like music to our ears especially when it is sold at Asos which has free shipping worldwide! This long stay lip color is perfect for wheatish to dusky skin tones. We would love to wear it on an elegant dinner date to feel ever so lady like. Create a red carpet moment of your own with a maxi dress, high heels and a dainty clutch. Wear the lip color with smokey kohl rimmed eyes for a sultry look.
- Accessorize Infatuated Intense Color Lipstick (Rs. 649; Jabong.com): We had no idea that one of our favourite accessory labels was also making such pretty and affordable makeup. We love that this red is more of a rich burgundy, which will complement a dusky complexion well. We would love to wear this one all the time as it is a versatile color and can take you effortlessly from day to night.
We hope you enjoyed our selection of lipsticks on a budget and also that this post inspired you to give the red pout a shot, you might just get addicted to this ever fashionable makeup trend. Remember to play up only one feature at a time for day wear and if you are highlighting the eyes at night keep the rest of the look relatively clean. Other than that, flawlessly bask in the confidence and the swagger that one easy swipe of the lip color can instill in you. As Miss. Monroe rightly said, “Red lipstick is to women what sports cars are to men.”