We've long loved an ankle-crop pant, this season designers urged us to consider the new shape of things - the models on the runways of Jil Sander, Armani, Etro showed off their ankles in wide leg pants that didn’t quite hit the floor yet took the Bermuda short a little further.
Either fully relaxed, or featuring a tailored silhouette with a slight flare at the bottom, culottes are a welcome step outside our comfort zone. Sporty or sleek, laid-back or super-sharp they do carry a certain level of sophistication, despite their apparent casual feel especially when styled the right way.
With Summer hovering right around the corner, culottes are the coolest way to let your legs breathe.When it comes to styling this mid calf pant silhouette, don’t be overwhelmed by its proportions. Simply treat culottes like midi skirts and balance out your outfit by keeping the rest of the look sleek. Counterbalance the extra volume on the bottom by going for a more fitted top, so any crop top—from a bralette to a more boxy option would be a great option. A tucked in blouse or simple T-shirt works well too. And although a heel or platform is the safest shoe choice - helping you elongate your frame, you can get away with flats as well. The trick is to pick shoes with a thick sole - you need something more substantial to anchor all those extreme proportions. See some perfectly styled culotte looks, plus shop the trend below:
- Zara Culottes ( Rs. 3990):
Cautious about a wide leg? Start with a classic navy pair in a more structured shape. When it's time for work, add a button-down and throw a blazer for further polish. Convey a sense of laid back cool by ditching fussy heels in favor of flat sandals for a chic weekend look.
- Oliv Culottes (Rs. 1500; Koovs.com):
For modern, sophisticated look that's unbelievably flattering, stick to one solid color from head to toe. Team these cobalt blue culottes with a similar hued top and some black heels for summer’s answer to power dressing. For the weekends, you can punch this pair up with a bright-colored top for a look that’s guaranteed to get you noticed at the bar.
- Forever 21 Culottes (Rs. 1200 approx): This flowy pair of culottes read as a swingy midiskirt and function as an office-appropriate alternative to go-to bottoms. They are slightly dressier but not over the top and will take you straight from work to hanging with girls or on a date.
- Debashree Samantha Culottes (Rs. 6800; Jabong.com):
For a bold take on culottes, pick a printed style like this one from Jabong. The soft pastel hue with its cool hand woven design has spring written all over it. Go laid-back and sporty by pairing these with a slouchy tank or a simple white tee and classic white trainers that are so on trend these days.
- Forever 21 (Rs. 1400 approx): Welcome back the culotte into your life with a cheerful floral version like this from Forever 21. A flowy silk tank with a statement necklace and block metallic heels is the fashion forward way to dress up this season.
- Asos Culottes (Rs. 4500): Flash a bit of toned tummy in a cropped tank top for a more youthful look. To rock these for nighttime, just add a leather tank and the highest of heels.