Vivienne Westwood brought punk fashion to the runway in the late seventies and since then there has been no looking back. The on again off again trend is more of a subculture than a fashion statement, which has its roots in music, art. Designers like Jean Paul Gaultier and Westwood have been proponents of the trend season after season whereas other established and younger designers take inspiration from time to time.
For Fall Winter 2013 punk is back is a big way. Leading designers like Balmain, Chanel and Saint Laurent captured the essence of this season’s rebellious mood by featuring an evolved and sophisticated version of the trend to. The cutting edge look was huge on the street style radar at the recent Spring Summer 2014 shows with prominent bloggers and fashion editors embracing black, plaid, leather and zippers in their own fashionable ways. Today we show you how to work a touch of punk into your closet with the help of a few key pieces - leather, plaid, heavy-metal embellishments and more leather. You may go the whole way with a head to toe grunge look or can add a few punk elements to give your fall look a rebellious spin. Either way, it will make a big impression and its fun to look like the bad girl once in a while.
- Zara Skirt (Rs. 6990): Move over studs, this season’s badass chic is all about zippers. This Zara skirt is a great find and can be styled for a day look with a white shirt and a distressed denim jacket and with a loose sequin vest and a leather jacket thrown over for a night out.
- Forever 21 Moto Jacket (Rs. 2936 approx): This Moto Jacket is absolutely one of our favourite pieces. We love that it is an oversized version of a regular motorcycle jacket and the stud details simply make it even more irresistible. Wear this stunner with skinny jeans tucked into ankle boots and a oversized tee or hang it over your party dress for a chic yet edgy look.
- Mango Plaid Shirt (Rs. 3790): Tartan and plaid are great separates to add into a grunge look. A casual plaid shirt can be knotted up and worn with cool distressed denim cutoffs and can be just as easily translated into a chic formal look with stilettos and a stylish leather pencil skirt. One can work the punk trend in a classy way too, so do give it a try.
- Vero Moda Anna Necklace (Rs. 2246 approx): A punk look is certainly incomplete without the right accessories. Thick chain necklaces, detailed ear cuffs, multiple rings and statement necklaces can help you put your outfit together. We are in love with this stunning neck-piece from Vero Moda. Wear this funky necklace with laid back black leather trousers and a crop top or with a bodycon leather dress for a night out.
- Maxi Dress (Stalkbuylove.com; Rs. 999): This is one hell of a cool dress we came across and we had to share it with all of you. We adore the criss-cross detail and the sexy side slits. Wear this dress with a sleeveless leather vest and biker boots. You may also wear it fuss free without any layering, but remember to pile on the accessories to achieve the dramatic look.
- Biker Boots (Rs. 4730 approx): Biker boots are the perfect punctuation marks for any grunge ensemble. They are versatile and can be worn with dresses, skirts, pants or leggings. A definite must - have for a punk queen, these boots are comfy and can be worn casually or to a party. They are sure to make a fabulous statement.
When you have got your outfit together perfectly, don’t stop there. Experimenting with makeup and hair is fun when you are going for a punk inspired getup. Complete the look with a nice winged eyeliner and dark lips or a black smokey eye and nude gloss. Play with your hair by slicking it all back with gel or make a mohawk like puff and tie it in a ponytail. This is definitely a trend to stay for the coming seasons as well so punk up your wardrobe soon and have fun experimenting with your dark side.